Here’s some great news for those who are planning to pursue Master’s and Doctoral Programs in Cebu: applications are now open for DOST Graduate Scholarships for the Second Semester at the University of San Carlos. If you are interested to finish your post-graduate degree in Sciences and Mathematics, now is the perfect time to realize this long-delayed goal.
Here’s What You Have to Know about the DOST-SEI ASTHRD
As science and technology continue to play a vital role in this highly digital world, the Department of Science and Technology—Science Education Institute opens the Accelerated Science and Technology Human Resource Development Program to improve the country’s global competitiveness and capability to innovate through Science and Technology and further accelerate the production of high-level human resources needed for Research and Development.
Scholarships offered include MS/Ph.D. Program and Straight Ph.D. Program, with fields focused on the following:
- Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resources
- Biological Sciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Earth, Atmospheric, and Space Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Fisheries and Marine Science
- Health and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Information and Communication Technology
- Materials Science and Nanotechnology
- Pure and Applied Mathematics
- Pure and Applied Physics
As a member of the National Science Consortium, the University of San Carlos has been accredited to offer programs in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Marine Biology, and Physics, as well as a Master’s in Mathematics. Alongside USC, the University of the Philippines Diliman, Ateneo de Manila University, Central Luzon State University, De La Salle University, Mindanao State University-Iligan Institute of Technology, University of the Philippines Los Baños, University of the Philippines Manila, University of the Philippines Visayas, University of Sto. Tomas, and Visayas State University also offer graduate study programs aligned with the DOST-SEI ASTHRD Scholarship.(See the full list of program offerings here.)
Interested? Here’s a Quick List of the Criteria for Eligibility
To qualify for the DOST-SEI ASTHRDP Scholarship, you must be:
- a Filipino citizen;
- not more than 50 years old at the time of application;
- in good health condition;
- pass the admission requirement for graduate studies at any of the NSC member universities; and
- pass the interview and other screening procedures.
Ph.D. graduates are given priority (scholar or non-scholar), as long as he/she intends to pursue a second Ph.D. degree. Those who are MS/Ph.D. non-scholar graduate—even if it’s not S&T related—who intends to pursue a second MS/Ph.D. degree are also welcome to apply.
For dissertation/thesis, scholars are highly encouraged to choose topics in the areas of Climate Change and Disaster Preparedness, Materials Science and Nanotechnology, and Natural Products and Drug Development.
NOTE: Ph.D. graduates and MS graduate who intends to pursue another MS degree program are no longer qualified to apply.
DOST-SEI ASTHRD Scholarship Privileges
Qualified applicants may enjoy the following privileges should they get accepted into the scholarship:
- free tuition fee and other school fees
- stipend of P25,000/mo. (MS) and P33,000/mo. (Ph.D.)
- book allowance (P20,000)/AY
- transportation allowance
- insurance coverage
- thesis/dissertation outright of P60,000 (MS) and P100,000 (PhD)
How to Apply for the DOST-SEI ASTHRD Scholarship?
To enjoy all the aforementioned benefits, here are the things that you have to prepare and the steps to follow to apply for DOST-SEI ASTHRD:
- Accomplish the ASTHRDP-NSC Information Sheet/Application Form here.
- Secure copy of Birth Certificate, Certified True Copy of the Official Transcript of Records; Endorsement Form (MS – from 2 former college professors; Ph.D. – from 2 former professors in the Master’s Program)
- For those employed, a recommendation and permission from the head of the agency to take a leave of absence while on scholarship or proof of resignation or termination of contract must be presented.
- Submit Career Plans (Form A), Research Plans (Form B), and Medical Certificate stating that the applicant is of good health condition and fit to study by a licensed physician with his/her PRC license number indicated in Form C), valid NBI clearance, Letter of Admission with Regular Status from the Program Head of the accepting institution and copy of the Admission Evaluation Sheet, and Approved Program of Study.
- For Lateral Applicants, an additional requirement of a Certificate from the university indicating the number of graduate units required in the program and the number of graduate units earned with corresponding grades will be needed.
For queries and clarification, feel free to visit the University of San Carlos at Nasipit, Talamban, Cebu, or contact (032) 230-0100 local 155; or email [email protected]. You may also connect with Project Leader Dr. Paul John L. Geraldino and Project Staff Ms. Mary Ailenn T. Baculpo from the School of Arts and Sciences, Assistant Dean’s Office.
Deadline for applications for the Second Semester is November 15, 2022. For other questions and concerns, please feel free to contact the S&T Scholarship Division of DOST at 8330-8876 or cellphone number 0927-886-8816. You may also email [email protected] or connect through Facebook DOST-SEI.
What are you waiting for? It’s time to turn those goals into reality. Get that Master’s/Doctoral Degree that you have been long dreaming of!