Art By Joy D. Dagun
The future of our nation depends on our ability to produce food and fiber to sustain the world. ~ Phil Bredesen
There are more than 60 online courses available for Filipinos at the Department of Agriculture – Agricultural Training Institute’s e-Learning platform. Wait, there’s more – these courses are FREE for everyone. Pretty sure many of us can use the extra knowledge about tending and developing sustainability when it comes to our food sources.
Although our movements and activities have been limited due to the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ), there are still many ways one can remain productive. By learning new skills and gaining knowledge through online resources – we all can make good use of all this free time.
One of the skills you can learn is Farming – through the e-Learning for Agriculture and Fisheries of the Agricultural Training Institute (ATI), the ATI is the extension of the Department of Agriculture (DA).
This e-Learning program has actually been up and running since 2007, developed to be an alternative means to learn about farming for free. Now, with this current global and national pandemic crisis, it’s pushed the need to increase the production of food. E-Learning has boosted the DA’s nationwide promotion of ‘urban agriculture’ and ‘community farming’ under the “Plant, Plant, Plant” program.
Last April 18, DA Secretary William Dar said on national television that the goal of the “Plant, Plant, Plant” Program – is to increase the food sufficiency level of agricultural products such as rice, corn, fish, vegetables, and many others. He also added that one of the initiatives under the program is introducing urban agriculture in urban settings or in the city areas.
The Agricultural Training Institute’s e-Learning program currently has more than 60 free online courses, covering crops, livestock and poultry, fisheries, social technology, and sustainable agriculture.
Some of the courses are about Basic Urban Gardening, Good Agricultural Practices for Vegetable Production, and Production Technologies for Mushroom, Tomato, Banana, Citrus Fruits, and Yam, among many others. There are also courses on Basic Beekeeping, Goat-raising, and Quail production available on their online portal.
There are also courses on Product Costing, Marketing, Food Safety, and even Effective Human Communication and Community Organizing can be taken up – under the Social Technology category.
As well as practices on Sustainable Agriculture – such as the following: Production of Organic Fertilizers, Vermicompost, and Mokusaku (wood vinegar). These courses are also available for interested learners.
Most of the courses can be completed within a day, but that depends on the individual. Once you complete a course, the e-Learner gets an electronic certificate – which one can download from the site.
According to ATI, the number of people who registered in the e-Learning site has increased significantly because of the enhanced community quarantine – from 87,200 to over 92,700 enrollees.
Here’s a complete list of the e-Learning courses for Agriculture and Fisheries:
- Sweet Hairy Balls Rambutan Production
- Juan and Coffee Talk: Robusta Coffee Production
- LET’s Grow KAMATIS: Tomato Production Guide
- Cassavay sa Pag-asenso: Roots of Productivity (CASSAVA 1)
- CASSAVAy sa Pag-asenso: Primary Processing and its Market (CASSAVA 2)
- Rise and Grind: Coffee Processing as an Enterprise (COFFEE 3)
- Good Agricultural Practices for Vegetable Production (GAP 1)
- Cultivating Earth’s Sweet Crop: The Sweet Potato (SweetPotato 1)
- Adlay Adds Life: Introduction to Adlay Production & Product Development (Adlay 1)
- Jackfruit Nursery Management (Jackfruit 2)
- Gold in Grains: Cultural Management for Soybean (Soybean 1)
- Queen Pineapple Production and Postharvest Technology (Pineapple 2)
- Online Course on Mechanized Rice Transplanting Technology (Mech 3)
- Basic Urban Gardening (Urban 1)
- Managing Common Diseases in Banana (Banana 1)
- Saving The Lost Harvest: Introductory Course On Rice Post Production Technologies (Mech2 )
- Abaca Nursery Establishment and Management (Abaca 3)
- Treasure in Threads: Pinya Fiber Processing (Pineapple 1)
- Cultural Management Practices of Abaca (Abaca 1)
- Abaca Pest Management (Abaca 2)
- Growing Bamboo for Profit and a Healthy Environment (Bamboo 1)
- Integrated Pest Management for Banana (Banana 2)
- Growing Banana in the Tropics (Banana 3)
- Citrus Growing: A Promising Enterprise (Citrus 1)
- Savoring the Green Brew: Arabica Coffee Production (Coffee 1)
- From Seed to Seed: Online Course on Corn Production (Corn 1)
- Growing Durian the Better Way (Durian 1) [OFFLINE]
- Production of High Value Crops in Greenhouse (Greenhouse 1)
- Jackfruit Production (Jackfruit 1)
- Go Mango, Hit the Jackpot! Online Course on Mango Production (Mango 1) [OFFLINE]
- Increasing Corn Farm Productivity through Mechanization Technologies (Mech 1)
- Straw Mushroom Growing: A Viable Agri-Enterprise (Mushroom 1)
- Growing Vanda and Vandaceous Orchids (Orchid 1)
- Yummy Yam: Ube Production (Yam 1)
- Basic Beekeeping (BEE 1)
- Advanced Beekeeping (BEEKEEPING 2)
- Establishing Feed Resources for your Goats (Goat 1)
- Starting a Slaughter Goat Enterprise (Goat 2)
- Technological Alternatives to Traditional Goat Breeding (Goat 3)
- Technological Alternatives to Traditional Feeding Management (Goat 4)
- Technological Alternatives to Traditional Herd Health (GOAT 5)
- AI at Your Cervix: Artificial Insemination Course for Raisers (GOAT 7)
- AI at You Cervix: Artificial Insemination Course for Technicians (GOAT 8)
- Meetylicious Meeh: Slaughtering and Cutting Standards for Goat (GOAT 9)
- Hail the Quail. Online Course on Quail Production (Quail 1)
- Walang Aray sa AI: Artificial Insemination in Pigs (Pig 1)
- Mastering the ABCs of Pig Production (Pig 2)
MARINE AND FISHERIES
- Taste the Creamiest Cream Dory: Online Course on the Culture and Utilization of
- Pangasius (Pangasius 1)
- Seaweed Farming (Seaweed 1)
- Product Costing Made Easy (PTTC-COSTING 1)
- Food Safety in Trade (PTTC-FOOD 1)
- Online Course on Training Management (TM 1)
- Lika! Usap Tayo: Effective Human Communication and Human Relations (COMM 1)
- Getting the Big Bucks: Guide to Grant Proposal Writing (Writing 1)
- Changing People’s Lives Through Effective Extension Delivery (EDS 1)
- Working Together Works: An Online Course on Community Organizing (CommOrg 1)
- Basic Agricultural Marketing Extension (Agrimark 1)
- Growing Carrot the Natural Way (CARROT 1)
- Improving Quality of Life: Growing Rice Organically (ORICE 1)
- Climate Change 101: Understanding Climate Change in Agri-Fisheries (CC 101)
- Mokusaku: Wood Vinegar Production (WOODVIN 1)
- Online Course on Organic Fertilizer for SA (Organic 1)
- Vermicomposting: Turning Trash to Cash (Vermi 1)
- Green Farming with Integrated Rice-Duck Farming (IRDFS 1)
- DEMO COURSE- Insects Away the Alternative Way (APM 1)
For those interested to take up the e-Learning courses, visit www.e-extension.gov.ph/elearning. Create an account and enroll in any chosen course/s.
If you have any questions and concerns, chat with the ATI e-Learning team through www.facebook.com/atiinteractive or send the Farmers’ Contact Center a text at 0920 946 2474.
We hope you make good use of this ECQ and take up a course or two. Increase your knowledge and skills, so when this is all over — you’d be ready to face the real world again. And this time, you’ll be more confident in chasing after your dreams and aspirations. Stay safe, everyone!