What should you do in order to ensure a better future? Look back. On its 82nd year, the “Queen City of the South” commemorates its foundation or the Cebu City Charter Day. Sponsored by Councilor Gervasio Lavilles in 1931, the resolution of converting the municipality of Cebu into a city has been approved in 1937, six years after. Republic Act No. 7287 declares February 24 as a special non-working holiday to honor this day.
Since then, the city continued to flourish and became one of the premiere cities of the country. Under the administration of Sergio Osmena Jr., several projects came to life – Lahug Airport, Mactan International Airport, Mactan-Mandaue Bridge, and the North Reclamation Project. With more ventures from local and foreign investors, Cebu developed into a leading hub for world class investments adding more infrastructures like Marcelo Fernan Bridge and South Reclamation Project.
This year, the city came up with a weeklong celebration through the partnership of the local government and private institutions. The highlights of the activities include:
- Livelihood skills training for women, mothers, and the unemployed sector by DMDP through soap making, candle making, and flower arranging;
- Recycling bags and bottles into flower vase and pencil and ballpen holder by CCENRO;
- Supporting the LGBT community through the “Let’s Go for a Better Tomorrow” Q&A Contest;
- Farmers Market;
- Charter Day Quizbowl participated by the Senior High School students;
- Medical Assistance, Legal Counseling, and Registration of Senior Citizens in the Serbisyong Sugbuanon Program;
- Showcase of Urban Agriculture Technology;
- Heritage Walk Tour through the “Pasiyo sa Kabilin”; and
- Awarding of Bar Topnotchers, Outstanding Youth for Youth Sugbuanon Exemplary and Action-driven Leaders (YOUSEAL), employees, individuals, and institutions.
With Cebu’s perfect geographical location and Cebuanos’ resilience, talents, and forward-way of thinking, the city is promised with a brighter future by looking in the past, working hard at present, and striving for a better tomorrow.